Deputy Paul Hopkins
School Resource Officer Program (SRO)
A School Resource Officer (SRO) is a trained, seasoned law enforcement officer who is assigned to a specific school by the appropriate law enforcement agency and the Bossier Parish School Board.
At the officer's designated school, classes promoting personal goal setting and self-esteem will be taught on an as-requested basis. Counseling will be extended to troubled youth, and programs will be presented to students and parents in areas of importance and concern which affect the youth of today, such as gang activity prevention, drug abuse prevention strategies, and harassment by other students. The SRO will also provide an extra measure of support for those "high risk" students who may have a tendency to become involved in gang activity, drug use/abuse, or other negative, illegal activities.
In addition, the SRO responsibilities will be:
- To provide more efficient police resource assistance to school personnel, parents, and students.
- To foster a more positive concept among young people concerning the role of law enforcement in society.
- To combat juvenile crime on a more pre-delinquent basis - the program emphasizes juvenile delinquency prevention.
- To assist in the reduction of student dropouts, suspensions, expulsions, and entry into gang activity.
- To make arrests when appropriate.